Is it easy to install solar panels?

Dashboard Forums Solar PV Is it easy to install solar panels?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kiki Cuyler Kiki Cuyler 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wynonna Judd
    Wynonna Judd
    Participant

How long does it take? Can it be done by someone on a DIY basis or should it always be done by a professional firm?

Profile photo of Thomas buuu
    Thomas buuu
    Participant

Hello Wynonna,

Solar panels can be installed by a competent DIY’er with some very good electrical knowledge.

However that said there are some very big reasons why this is not recommended.
    1. If you wish to earn an income from the FIT (Feed In Tariff) then you wont be able to claim for it.
    2. If you are not careful you could damage your roof and cause costly damage to your home.
    3. if the system is not certified properly you will find it extremely hard to sell or re-mortgage your home and if and when this time comes your cries for certification may very well fall on deaf ears (I have heard of this happening before).

There are more reasons why but I’ll leave that to the installers to explain.

All the best!!

Profile photo of Shan Foster
    Shan Foster
    Participant

I am sure that there are people who would be able to manage it on their own, however I would suggest that you hired a firm to do it for you – because it’s the only way that you would be able to know for sure that it has been done properly, and that it’s going to work. Even if you end up having to pay a bit more for it, I think it’s much, much better than trying it yourself when you’re not really sure what you’re doing.

Profile photo of Dan Cortese
    Dan Cortese
    Participant

Definitely get someone else to do it for you. There’s no way I’d even be remotely tempted to fit them myself. You’re messing about with power, and that type of thing can be very dangerous unless you have the right type of training.

Profile photo of Kiki Cuyler
    Kiki Cuyler
    Participant

Apart from the power aspects of it, all roof mounting systems are engineered products, designed to cope with calculated wind and snow loads.

Tile types determine what installation methods are used to maintain waterproofing.

Timber types and roof types determine what installation methods are used to comply with building regulations and to prevent timber damage.

There are many, many other considerations – shading analysis and string design and many other design considerations that a competent DIY’er will be completely unaware of.

In short – this is a job for a professional company to ensure professional results.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.